An Interview with a Full-time Travel Blogger- Emily Luxton

This interview series feature interviews with travel bloggers and writers. If you are a travel blogger and a writer, and have something to share with and say to your readers, please get in touch with me at [email protected] I look forward to hearing from you!

"Honestly, it really isn't one of the best jobs in the world. It's demanding, takes a lot of work, and doesn't pay all that well". - Emily Luxton, Travel blogger on Emily Luxton Travels .

Follow her on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

In this first interview series, let us meet a full-time travel blogger Emily Luxton. I first noticed Emily Luxton on her weekly feature Postcard From, and then I learned that she and I are both kindred souls and prefer the same travel style- slow, long-term and deep travel. In this interview, Emily Luxton tells us about her life as a travel blogger and her tried-and-true advice to follow bloggers.

Welcome Emily! Could you please tell us about yourself, your blog, and your coming adventures?

Hi! I'm Emily and I blog at Emily Luxton Travels. It's a very personal blog about my journeys around the world, focusing on Deep Travel. I like to travel slowly when I can, and try to really get to know new destinations I visit through their culture and food, so my blog tends to be more geared towards that. I've just finished two months in Asia, where I explored Thailand and India, and now I have a few months of whirlwind trips coming up: Guatemala and Belize, Northern Ireland, Greece, Italy, Yorkshire, the Scilly Isles in England, Barcelona, and finally Stockholm in July. After that, I'm hopefully going to take a break for a month or two!

As a full-time travel blogger, what is your daily routine looks like when you are not traveling?

At the moment I'm always travelling. But when I am at home, a typical day is actually pretty boring. I wake up around 9am and start work at 10am. The first few hours are normally admin, answering emails and managing my social media accounts, making pins for Pinterest, and doing behind the scenes tech stuff on my blog to make sure it all runs smoothly. In the afternoons or evenings I write, edit photos, and schedule my posts. In between all that I spend time networking and trying to rustle up business and paid work. Even when I am on the road, there are at least two or three days every week that are the same; I blog full time which means even when I'm travelling I'm still working full time!

Given the perceptions that travel blogger is probably one of the best jobs in the world, what is your opinion?

Honestly, it really isn't one of the best jobs in the world. It's demanding, takes a lot of work, and doesn't pay all that well. Plus, if you love travelling, travel blogging can actually take away from that as you're constantly distracted and can never make the most of a trip. That being said, it is a very cool job – especially when you're invited on glamorous press trips or to swanky events – and if you love writing and blogging it can be really rewarding. Travel writing is my biggest passion in life, so for me, this is the best job in the world. But there are a lot of downsides that people don't consider; I'm on the road so much that I hardly ever see my family and friends, I have very little stability, and I own hardly any possessions. I honestly think that most people would truly hate doing what I do – but the important thing is that I love it!

What is the biggest pet peeve of yours?

People who take photos on their iPads or tablets. They're always in the way! In fact, I hate rudeness in general when it comes to photography; the people who push to the front or use their selfie sticks to get in front of your camera! Drives me crazy!

Travel blogger you would like to meeting in person and have a drink and a meal with?

My friend Gemma from Two Scots Abroad. We've known each other online for ages and work together on my Facebook group for travel bloggers (the Travel Blogger Social Media Sharing Group), but we've still never met in real life. I'd love to go for a drink with her and actually have a face to face chat!

If you could live anywhere in this world right now, aside from your homeland, which country you like to live?

Barcelona in Spain. I'm actually thinking of heading there this summer to live for a few months. I could also see myself living in Thailand for a few months; I fell in love with Chiang Mai while I was there and it really felt like home.

Apart from traveling, blogging and photographing, what is your dream job and why?

I would love to be a film director. I love the film industry and I've always ranked director right under travel writer in my list of dream jobs. You know the feeling when you leave the cinema after seeing a great movie? I'd love to be the one responsible for that!

Out of all the things you need to work on as a a full-time travel blogger (e.g. writing, photography, guest posts, social media and marketing, blog design and maintenance), which one is your least favorite?

I hate editing and uploading photos. I love the end result when I've made my photos look really good, but I hate how long it takes. Every post I write tends to have around five photos, and that means I have to go through hundreds of photos to choose the best ones, edit them, re-size them, and upload them. It takes as long as writing the actual post!

What are your words of wisdom to fellow travel bloggers?

Comparison is the thief of joy. Try not to look at other bloggers and compare yourself, because everyone has different strengths and weaknesses and no two blogs are the same. I used to obsess over what other people were doing, and wondering if I was blogging “right”. But most blogs are successful because of the personality of the blogger, and since your personality is unique your blog should be too. Also, if someone is more established than you, you can't worry about how much better they're doing; you need to focus on yourself and improving at your own pace. Don't compare your chapter one with someone else's chapter twenty, as the saying goes.

Thanks Emily for the interview. Enjoy your travels in Latin America and Europe!

14 thoughts on “An Interview with a Full-time Travel Blogger- Emily Luxton

• October 9, 2016 at 2:19 pm

As a budding travel blogger who’s trying to move into more social media management and digital marketing roles (due to the poor pay and constant movement required by travel blogging) I’ll totally agree with Emily. It’s tough, you work way more than full time (pitching and marketing yourself alone is a full time job and then there’s still the writing, editing, taking photos and editing photos and traveling and making all of the appointments, getting photo use approvals, etc! It’s thankless until you’ve made it to a certain point, and you’ll spend your own money and savings until you’ve made it to a certain point. But once you’ve made it to that point, if you like always being on the road, it’s rewarding.

I’m a long term traveler as well though. Choosing a destination to live in, or to spend four full days or a week in (one village or small city) versus checking hundreds or cities off a ‘must-do’ list. I like to make a place my home base and then travel on day trips to other places.

Emily if you’re in Spain in October or November give me a shout-I’m in Madrid but will be taking trips (to write my own articles I’ll be pitching) to Basque Country and Andalucia (food-wine-accommodation focused)

have been meaning to follow Two Traveling Scots- this post reminded me of that 🙂

• October 10, 2016 at 2:53 am

Hi Brooke! You’re right, it’s very tough to break I to travel blogging and make it work for you. For me, it’s worth all the extra work because I really am following my passions – but for people who don’t love writing/blogging/photography in a crazy obsessed way like I do, the lifestyle of a full time blogger can be a bit much.

I’m in Asia for most of October and November, no plans to visit Spain unfortunately. Will you be at wtm in London? I’m back for that!

• October 11, 2016 at 6:47 pm

I really enjoyed reading this. As a travel blogger myself it’s nice to see we all face some of the same challenges: it isn’t as glamorous as many people think. It’s hard work to get a fulltime income out of your travel blog but like Emily says, if this is your passion then it is well worth all the effort!!

• November 1, 2016 at 2:51 pm

I am glad you enjoy reading it! The behind the scene work of a travel blogger is really not as great as most people think it is, and it requires a ridiculous amount of work and time commitment, but I agree, it is worth it in the end.

• October 11, 2016 at 8:38 pm

I’ve been following Emily’s blog for a while so it’s always nice to hear more about the person behind it! I also hate the time it takes to edit, resize & upload photos! Writing comes very naturally to me as I’ve been working as a journalist my whole career, but editing photos is time consuming! I think it’s an important point to make regarding working while travelling – you never switch off. It’s on my brain as soon as I wake up + the last thing I think about at night!

• November 1, 2016 at 2:54 pm

I also hate about the photo editing part. It seems a lot easier than the writing but it is so time consuming, and I just cannot do the writing and photo editing at the same day as claimed by other travel bloggers. And travel blogging actually not only take away our time from travel, it also changes the way we travel. And the same like you, my brain was on from 8am – the time I sleep.

• October 11, 2016 at 11:36 pm

Thank you for your honest thoughts about travel blogging! It’s nice to know that another person also hates the iPad/Tablet shots. It’s quite a pain! I especially enjoyed the bit about advice to fellow bloggers. My husband and I have been working on our blog for about two years, more diligently within the last year though. I enjoyed knowing I wasn’t alone in many of your thoughts!

• October 12, 2016 at 2:28 am

Our only visit to Barcelona was a real pleasure, so I can see why Emily would like to settle in there for a few months. I’ve never visited Chiang Mai but Emily’s praise makes it sound interesting. It’s refreshing to hear a straightforward and honest reflection on the ups and downs of the itinerant life, not all roses.

• November 1, 2016 at 2:58 pm

Thanks! I have heard that Bercelona is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, and I understand why you and Emily loves it. Travel blogging involves a lot of work and I am glad that you enjoy reading this.

• October 12, 2016 at 9:44 pm

It’s always nice to read about other bloggers days. I like to see how they manage them and what styles are different from mine. I left the film business to be a travel blogger so I really feel I can relate to Emily!

• October 13, 2016 at 11:57 am

Thanks to Emily for her honest words about travel blogging. So many people seem to say that you only need to work for 3 hours a day and you can have a hugely successful blog immediately! Despite all the hard work involved I am jealous that you get to travel so much though, and it does sound like a great job 😉

• November 1, 2016 at 3:00 pm

The only people that understand how many work travel blogging involved is fellow travel bloggers like us, but it is still the best job I have ever had 🙂

• October 17, 2016 at 8:28 am

I’ve stumbled upon Emily’s blog quite a few times so it was really interesting to read her point of view. Some really great insights into the job. People tend to thing that is really glamorous but I can imagine a lot of the time it is not just infinity pools and happy press trips. But at the end of the day we all have to admit that it is one of the coolest jobs out there even though it is demanding. I am not a full-time travel blogger but I often get annoyed when people just brush it off as a hobby! When you gather all the things you have to do for one simple posts from photography to editing, writing, proofreading even putting titles on images and optimizing, it takes hell of a lot of time.
    Great job Emily and thank you for the honest and detailed answers 🙂

• November 1, 2016 at 3:04 pm

Thanks Sia for taking time reading and commenting! I have full-time travel blogging for months now and I always receive wows when I say I am a travel blogger, I know what people think but you are right, it is like have your own company without any staff, and writing and photography? People spend years at the university to learn each of these two skills, not to say marketing and admin. It is really takes lots of time.