Stay at Hilltop Acres Bed and Breakfast and Explore North Cape

When it comes to exploring North Cape, there are not many options on where to stay. After passing the second largest city, Summerside, you will be on the coastal highway and travel throughout small towns and villages. However, once you get on Route 12, the scenery on the road is quite peaceful and beautiful, as you will be accompanied by a gorgeous ocean view and a large expanse of greenish farm fields.

Route 12 can be explored in one day or two, but I do not want to rush. When I plan my North Cape road trip, I want to spend a few days exploring the region, the town, and getting to know the culture and the people. I visited in low season; when many hotels and guesthouses had not started welcoming guests, so it was difficult to choose an overnight stop for my trip from Charlottetown to North Cape. After reading the brochures and checking the online reviews, I found a charming B&B and Guest House in Bideford, which is located halfway between Summerside and Tignish, and close to Lennox Island.

Hilltop Acres Bed and Breakfast and Guest House

This B&B is one of my favorites and I thought of staying for another night during my return trip to Summerside, but it did not happen. Hilltop Acres B&B and Guest House is a renovated 1930’s country home known for its exquisite interior and beautiful surroundings.

Explore North Cape: Hilltop Acres Bed and Breakfast and Guest House
Photo credit: BBCanada.com

I stayed for only one night in a guest room on the second floor. I was the only guest that night and I had a wonderful stay. If you are looking for accommodation during your trip to North Cape, this is an excellent place.

Amenities

Hilltop Acres B&B is a two-story building with two guest bedrooms. The entire property is situated in the country-side and overlooks the picturesque Malpeque Bay and Goodwood River. The house has a large living room, a meeting room, secluded decks, and garden swings. There is an outdoor seating area where guests can have dinner in the summer and enjoy the scenic view of the bay.

Photo credit: BBCanada.com

The common area has a large table for guests to have afternoon tea and breakfast. The night I was there, there was a business meeting taking place.

The Room

I stayed in a guest room with a large bed and a garden view. From the window, I could peek through to Lennox Island across the Malpeque Bay.

My room was in no way spacious, but it has a closet, a chair, a dresser, and several paintings on the wall. The owner, Janice, prepared an extra blanket in the closet in case I felt cold at night. The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable.

Explore North Cape: Hilltop Acres Bed and Breakfast and Guest House

My room at Hilltop Acres/Photo credit: BBCanada.com

My experience

I had the best time at Hilltop Ares and enjoyed that it was in a quiet and beautiful area. Both owners Janice and Wayne were very warm and welcoming. They greeted me in the parking lot, and offered me a tour of the property and afternoon tea shortly after I arrived. The nearby restaurants are a short five-minute drive. As I ordered take out for dinner, Janice and Wayne set up the table for me in the common area and allowed me to use it before the meetings.

The breakfast was homemade and it was excellent.  I had oatmeal, scrambled eggs, tomatoes, muffins, and fruit.  Janice woke up in the morning and baked lots of muffins. Knowing I will be on my way to Tignish that day, she offered me an extra two muffins in case I am hungry on the road.

If you visit in summer, I recommend walking and biking around the property. The view of the waterfront is excellent and you will get to see Lennox Island on the other side. From there, it takes less than 20 minutes to reach Lennox Island. I highly recommend you to visit and discover what Canada’s largest first nation community, Mi’kmaq, has to offer.

Visiting Lennox Island on my way to North Cape
Lennox Island, Prince Edward Island, Canada

Final thoughts

I have stayed in many B&Bs during my travels, and Hilltop Acres B&B and Guest House is one of the best. I arrived on a cold and windy afternoon, and Janice and Wayne welcomed me into their home and made sure I had a comfortable stay. They asked about my trip and talked to me as if we knew each other for years. That personal touch made a huge difference.

My stay ended with a recommendation to visit Green Gable Alpacas (a beautiful farm in Tyne Valley).  Janice offered to call the farm owner to confirm the farm was open so I would not waste time on travel.  She also marked several places on the map for me to visit on my way to North Cape, and made sure I had a place to stay in Tignish.

If you are looking for overnight accommodation on your trip to North Cape, I would not hesitate to recommend Hilltop Ares B&B. It has serene and beautiful surroundings, friendly and hospitable owners, and clean and comfortable rooms. Both owners go out of their way to make sure that you not only have a great stay, but also a wonderful trip to your next destination.

Pin this post “Stay at Hilltop Acres Bed and Breakfast and Explore North Cape” to Pinterest!

Stay at Hilltop Acres Bed and Breakfast and Explore North Cape

17 thoughts on “Stay at Hilltop Acres Bed and Breakfast and Explore North Cape

• February 17, 2017 at 9:44 pm

That B&B looks so quaint and welcoming, sounds like the owners were incredibly helpful too. Good to know, thanks for sharing!

• February 20, 2017 at 2:45 pm

That B&B is the best. Thanks for reading!

• March 5, 2017 at 8:45 pm

Hilltop Acres looks so cute. The surrounding landscape looks pretty impressive. But, having warm and friendly hosts really makes a difference and can shape your experience. How nice that they helped you out with the alpaca farm, too.

• March 16, 2017 at 3:58 pm

The did and the farm is closed on that day. So glad I did not waste my time to go there.

• March 5, 2017 at 10:58 pm

I haven’t visited this part of Canada but I have heard it is stunning. The B&B looks like a great place to stay, I much prefer places like this to hotels. It’s always great to be able to get recommendations from locals of places to visit and to feel part of the family when visiting a place.

• March 16, 2017 at 3:59 pm

That B&B is amazing. Hope you will visit Atlantic Canada one day, it is really a great place to be, and it is still under-the-radar. The locals are very welcoming and will give recommendations to you as to where to visit and where to get the best food,

• March 6, 2017 at 8:46 am

The B&B looked so quaint and really English decorations as well! They certainly looked after you!

• March 16, 2017 at 4:00 pm

You are right it is really English. They even have English breakfast tea haha.

• March 6, 2017 at 11:28 am

Those home backed muffins sound delicious! I have been to North Cape in Norway, I didn’t know there was one in Canada too, I’ll have to visit. The views sound wonderful on from route 12.

• March 16, 2017 at 4:01 pm

I do not know there is North Cape in Norway. Norway is my dream place and I hope to visit North Cape there too. It must be very different than the one in PEI.

• March 6, 2017 at 3:23 pm

Hilltop Acres sounds like a charming little B&B, the owners also sound so kind and hospitable. If I ever make my way to that part of Canada I will be sure to give them a visit.

• March 6, 2017 at 5:35 pm

What a wonderful little B&B! I’ll keep this place in mind when I make it out to the maritimes one day. I love it when they prepare homemade breakfast. Especially when the muffins are freshly baked!

• March 16, 2017 at 4:03 pm

Homemade breakfast is the best isn’t it? Maritimes have some really great place to visit and wish you will make it there one day!

• March 6, 2017 at 8:53 pm

It is certainly one of the pleasures of travelling to stay in a nice B&B like Hilltop Acres. Also, the friendly and helpful owners made your stay a memorable one. The picturesque surrounding and the excellent facilities of the property are a welcome respite after a day of exploring.

• March 6, 2017 at 9:02 pm

I’ve never stayed in a bed and breakfast before but I’ve been meaning to specially now that I live in London and there are a lot of b&b’s around the area. Hilltop Acres looks very cozy! The personal service and attention given to you was remarkable! A takeaway muffin is a bonus, it’s like staying over at grandma’s house. 🙂

• March 16, 2017 at 4:02 pm

I really feel like I was at my grandma’s house with all the personal service and the attention. I still miss the takeaway muffins.

• Pingback: Seven Reasons Why I Love Prince Edward Island and Why It Worth A Visit