Travel Blogger Interview with Henrik Jeppesen

This interview series feature interviews with travel bloggers and writers. If you are a travel blogger and a writer and have something to share with and say to your readers, please get in touch with me at yiren1113@hotmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you!

In this interview series, let us meet a world-traveler and travel blogger, Henrik Jeppesen, from henriktravel.com.  Henrik is the first person I know that has visited every country in the world. He travels on budget and has many interesting stories to tell. He has a blog page features a photo from every country and passport stamps that stamps EU-passports.

Travel blogger Henrik Jeppesen in Eritrea
Henrik Jeppesen finished his quest of visiting every country in the world in Eritrea/Photo credit: Henrik Jeppesen
Travel blogger interview

"I do not collect objects. I collect experiences"

"I have visited every country in the world, and I did it before my 28th birthday. I continue to travel."

"My next goal is to visit every territory in the world. It's even harder than visiting every country"

Follow Henrik Jeppesen's travels and get his tips on FacebookInstagram and his blog

Welcome Henrik! Tell me about yourself, your blog and your coming adventure.

I am 28 years old, have been to every country in the world, and write on my blog, HenrikTravel.com and on social media. My next project is to visit every territory in the world.

What makes you decide to travel to every country and territory in the world?

It’s a process. First I wanted to do 50 countries, and then 100, and then I felt comfortable doing them all. Why? I think because I could. I had the chance to visit every country, and I love travelling. It was probably not on my mind as I thought of it as being unrealistic, then when I realized I can actually do them all both safety and financial-wise, I decided to go for it.

Henrik Jeppesen in Lybia/Photo credit: Henrik Jeppesen

How do you feel about being the only tourist in Syria?

I went to Syria in December, 2015 after many months of research. Danish journalist, Rasmus Tantholdt has reported from Syria for the past many years,and I decided to seek his advice on how to get a visa. He told his fixer about me, and the fixer then told his friend, the Syrian ambassador to North Korea about me. After many e-mails back and forth I picked up a visa at their embassy in Pretoria, but having a visa isn’t always enough to get into the country. I flew into Beirut where my contact picked me up and took me to the border. The immigration officer wouldn’t believe I was in Syria as a tourist, but after a long talk with my contact back and forth they decided to stamp me in.

How do you financially support your travels?

In the beginning I focused on staying with locals to eliminate the number one cost when travelling: Accommodation. I also focused on booking lots of tickets when low-cost airlines had promos. Now I work with companies to support my travels and make a living.

Travel blogger interview with Henrik Jeppesen
Tonga , one of the least visited countries in the world/Photo credit: Henrik Jeppesen

What are your favorite countries so far?

It’s such a difficult question to answer. I love many countries for different reasons.  I like Italy and France for the food. South Africa has a lot to offer for travelers while Iran probably has the friendliest people in the world.

Have you had any troubles and embarrassing moments on your travels?

My driver went to prison in South Sudan for taking a photo of me in front of a building. They wanted to throw me into prison as well, but after they checked my camera, they let me go. I'll go with South Sudan as my least favorite experience for this reason.

One of the most underrated countries you have ever visited.

There are many, but Rwanda would be one of them. I had very low expectations, but it’s a surprisingly great country that feels well organized. In that part of the world you normally have a bad infrastructure and a lot of problems to deal with as a traveler, but not in Rwanda. It’s such a beautiful country as well. Paying 5 dollars for a bus ticket across the country is one of the best things you can do.

You said North Korea is “the most interesting travel experience of my life.” Could you please share your experience there?

In my opinion, North Korea is the most interesting country in the world. The national airline is the only 1-star airline in the world and an experience in itself. Two of the scariest flights I’ve ever been on, but I survived. North Korea is unique in many ways. You can’t explore the country freely. Many things feel strange, and the food is extraordinarily bad.

Travel Blogger Henrik Jeppesen in North Korea
North Korea/Photo credit: Henrik Jeppesen

If you would live anywhere in this world now, aside from Denmark, where would you choose to live?

Maybe New Zealand. It's beautiful, safe, friendly and excellent food of great quality.

Important lessons you learned from your travels.

That you need to do what makes you happy. I am now more specific about what kind of travel experiences I like and which ones I don't like, but more importantly I have learned that the world is friendly, welcoming and safe.

Thank you Henrik Jeppesen for a great interview. Enjoy exploring all the territories in the world!

21 thoughts on “Travel Blogger Interview with Henrik Jeppesen

• April 21, 2017 at 2:40 pm

Wonderful write-up! That’s great to find out about a travel blogger who has been to literally every country in the world!

• May 8, 2017 at 9:11 am

It is amazing isn’t it? And he did all of this before 28.

• April 23, 2017 at 6:41 am

really interesting to hear the stories from someone who has been to places most people don’t have access to.

• April 23, 2017 at 9:34 pm

What an interesting interview! I will definitely agree with New Zealand being a great alternative place to live. I just wish it didn’t get so cold there lol

• May 8, 2017 at 9:10 am

I always wanted to visit NZ, and now you both inspires me to visit this beautiful country. I do not think it will be as cold as Canada lol

• May 6, 2017 at 2:01 pm

It’s my aspiration to be like Henrik Jeppesen one day. Thank you for this enlightening interview. Great job!

• May 6, 2017 at 4:11 pm

Wow this is an amazing achievement visiting all countries in the world! Well done Henrik! Since starting a travel blog, my goal is to visit every country in the world, and some day I’d love too! So far I’ve visited 44 and I’m only 20 so i guess I’m not doing too bad!
    The flight to North Korea sounds a bit scary being only a 1 star airline, although I guess that is part of the experience!

• May 10, 2017 at 2:46 pm

Visited 44 countries when you are only 20 is amazing. I wish I could do that! Cannot imagine taking 1 star airline but I agree it is part of an adventure.

• May 6, 2017 at 5:45 pm

This is so inspiring to read. I tend to get weary as a traveller and wonder how long I will be able to keep it up, but this makes it seem possible to keep going. Don’t think I will be taking a 1 star flight in Korea anytime soon though:)

• May 10, 2017 at 2:48 pm

Henrik is an inspiration for us. That 1-star airline sounds pretty scary, but we will survive 🙂

• May 6, 2017 at 11:50 pm

This interview was so enjoyable to read. You have to admire someone like Henrik for having the strength of his convictions to follow his dream. And now that his dream is well supported by many who follow his adventures, it is easy to feel happy for him. I would enjoy following his adventures and reading his perspective about the places he visits.

• May 10, 2017 at 2:51 pm

He has a blog page features all his adventures and it contains some interesting stories. I also admire him for visited all the countries at such young age . He is an inspiration for us and keeps our dreams alive, and that is part of the reason why many decide to support him.

• May 7, 2017 at 4:10 am

A fascinating interview. I too have follow Henrik and some of his stories are absolutely unbelievable. Certainly, when you have been a tourist in Syria, North Korea, Rwanda and South Sudan, you’ve certainly tick four pretty insane travel boxes. I guess the question really hos to be, where now?

• May 10, 2017 at 2:52 pm

Lets keep up-to-date with his quest of exploring all territories 🙂

• May 7, 2017 at 8:34 am

Was really great to read about his experiences. Visiting all countries in the world I think is the dream of many travellers. To achieve this, of course is another story, but that its possible and even in such a young age, Henrik approved.
    Interesting also his experiences about Syria and North Korea and the extraordinarily bad food.
    This is truly an inspirational interview with very exciting insights.

• May 10, 2017 at 2:54 pm

I am also intrigued by his experience in Syria and North Korea. Enter Syria as an only tourist is an unique experience. Glad this interview inspires you.

• May 8, 2017 at 12:28 am

I enjoyed reading your article. It is nice to know the experiences of travelers when they visit risky countries like Sudan and North Korea. I am not eager to visit these countries because I worry about my safety. However, it is admirable that there are travelers who took the challenge and explored these countries.

• May 10, 2017 at 2:55 pm

It would be great to visit Sudan and N. Korea and to check out what is really looks like. Just wish the challenges will be worth it.

• May 8, 2017 at 1:22 pm

It was very interesting to read about Henrik. He definitely inspires. Every country done, and now aiming for every territory… Wow..sounds awesome!

• May 10, 2017 at 2:31 am

Wow this is incredible! It’s such a feat to visit so many countries. It’s good to know how all these countries compare. I have always been interested in North Korea and really want to visit it! I had no idea the food was so bad! Haha

• May 10, 2017 at 2:57 pm

haha me too, and that one-star airline…